Thursday, March 10, 2005

Tap, tap, tap...

Tonight was the last night of the current soccer season. I've been doing the YMCA coaching thing for a little under a year now and have found that I really enjoy it. It's nice to see the same kids coming back each season. They seem to get better each time, and definitely respond to the energy of the game more and more. I especially love the parents who get into the game. It makes games so much more fun when you see them jumping up and down cheering for their team, and yelling encouragement to kids that are only related to them by the color of their jersey. The only drawback is the low number of kids that turn out. Our record this season focused on fun rather than winning. In other words, I think we lost all but one game (not that anyone cares, or even remembers). Playing the same team every time probably had something to do with it. If more kids had signed up, we'd have been able to create a few more teams. Perhaps that'll change as the weather warms up.

I feel a certain loyalty to the YMCA and so I plan on coaching at least another season. I got my start at the YMCA when I was 14, volunteering for a Saturday kids activity program. I worked there as a summer camp counselor through my Freshman year of college. It wasn't all roses, and my last gig there didn't end too well, but I'm really a better person today because of what I learned at the YMCA when I was young. I digress though... Most of the parents were asking if I'd stay and do it again. If they're willing to put their kids in my hands (a bad coach can scar a kid for life) then I'm more than happy to do it again. I know it says a lot about me when someone is willing to put their most precious thing in my hands for 2 hours a week. I give all of the credit to Jesus though. I have what he gave. Thank God I didn't have to earn it...

No comments: