Saturday, April 02, 2005

Death

This week saw the deaths of Terri Schiavo and Pope John Paul II. Actually it saw the deaths of a whole lot of people, nearly all of which were less than worthy to make the news.

The problem I have with the Terri Schiavo "thing" is that you lose either way. Without getting into the details being copiously debated elsewhere, my position is that the covenant of marriage trumps right wing ideologues. In the end, Michael Schiavo was just exercising the rights that the right wing conservatives scream and moan about homosexuals chipping away at (Uhhh, DOMA anyone???). Yet, when it is inconvenient, conservatives are the first to try and break up Terri and Michael's marriage. I believe that marriage is a sacred bond granted by God that applies *EVEN* when it is inconvenient. Whether Michael Schiavo's actions were right or wrong in the eyes of God, it was between him and his wife. Don't get me wrong though, there's nothing wrong with lobbying him to change his mind with respect to re-inserting Terri's feeding tube, even up to the bitter end. Fighting the courts to break up their marriage to give Terri's parents guardianship is a tasteless maneuver, and I applaud the courts for upholding the sanctity of marriage. Oh and the death threats against Michael Schiavo? Real class move guys, way to demonstrate your respect for LIFE!

All of this has me thinking about the hypocrisy of the death penalty and why the right wing conservatives champion it so much. The Bible teaches that all sin is equal in the eyes of God. It also talks a lot about the sanctity of life. Some might desire to remind me at this point about the "eye for an eye" clause. I'd politely remind them that Jesus fulfilled the law of the old testament and that judgment now lies in his hands, not yours. Sure, that's awful easy for me to say, but what if a close relative of mine was tortured and brutally murdered in cold blood? The only way I can answer that is to note that ever since I became a believer in Jesus Christ, I am no longer afraid of death. Yes, I'd be angry and I'm sure I'd want to disembowel the evil son-of-a-bitch with a dull butter knife. However, God will have his vengeance. Committing the perpetrator to death shows the same lack of respect for life that the perpetrator did *AND* shows a lack of faith in the vengeance that God *WILL* mete out on him (which will be *FAR* worse then anything mere mortal people can come up with, I assure you).

I have heard right wing conservatives talk about a respect for all *INNOCENT* life. According to the God I believe in, only one man was innocent. The rest are but "dirty rags" at their best, without the intercession of Jesus Christ.

"But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." Matthew 6:15

No comments: