Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Document Storage

I'm getting tired of storing old bills and important documents in a filing cabinet. Filing cabinets invariably fill up too quickly and you can't find anything no matter how good your filing system is. Additionally, it's a real pain in the posterior to make a "backup" of a filing cabinet.

I'm going to try scanning and storing my stuff into a document imaging system. I'll use an OCR engine and custom indicies to get searchable data. I'll store the originals in a box in no particular order, although there should be a certain degree of date based stratification. If I ever need an original (which should be extremely rare) I can just dig through the approximate date area of the box(es) of originals. Otherwise, simply printing a copy of what I've scanned should suffice.

No comments: