Monday, September 19, 2005

French Toast

This weekend, my son and I happened upon the ultimate French toast recipe.

It starts with a loaf of "Nant Brioche". It's a wonderfuly light bread with a slightly buttery flavor that just seems to sponge up the french toast egg mixture. I was able to find it at our local Metropolitan Market. I did a few Google searches, but wasn't able to find much on it. Perhaps it's a unique recipe?

Cut the slices of Nant Brioche about a 3/4th of an inch in size. It's hard to tell if the slices can be too big, but too small and you don't get that rich french toast goodness.

For the egg mixture, we found that about 3 eggs per four pieces of "toast" was about right. My son and I can go through about 4 pieces each, so it took six eggs. Next, add a sufficient amount of milk to just barely cover the top of the eggs. I used 1% milk. I suppose if I wanted to really go wild I'd use 2% or even whole milk, but as you'll see, you have to draw the line somewhere. Mix it up until it's a consistent "yellow".

The choice of cooking pan is critical here. I used a 12" frying pan with a teflon coating. Due to the size of the Nant Brioche slices, I was able to get two in at a time. This works well, because it forced my son and I to pace ourselves as we ate them. Make sure the stove heat is set at a conservative "medium" (or whatever suffices for "medium" on your stove).

Soak the Nant Brioche in the egg mixture two pieces at a time. Make sure to soak it to the point at which the bread is nearly falling apart. Before putting the french toast in the frying pan, make sure to coat the bottom with a generous amount of REAL butter. Margarine simply will not do here!

Let the French toast cook until the sizzling dies down and flip it. Cook each side until they're golden brown and eat right away! I suppose you can cook up an entire batch and eat them "family style", but I find that they're best right off the frying pan.

As for what to put on them? Make sure to use real butter and real maple syrup. I've been using "Western Family" style maple syrup. Not the best, but it's considerably better than the "fake stuff". At one time I had a very expensive bottle of real Canadian maple syrup. You can definitely tell the difference between that and the "Western Family" stuff. However, the WORST maple syrup is infinitely better than the best fake stuff.

No comments: